A detailed breakdown of some of the crafting artisan skills available in Ashes of Creation: Carpentry, Shipbuilding, and Siege Weaponry!
WHAT IS WOOD WORKING GENERALLY IN MMOs?
It is centered around using processed lumber from gathering trees and creating certain wooden based objects. However, Ashes of Creation is branching the use of lumber into two or maybe three avenues of crafting:
- General Carpentry: the creation of furniture and certain crafting stations for other artisan skills.
- Ship Building: the crafting of certain ship parts for upgrading your actual ship.
- Siege Weaponry: maybe still in the Carpentry side but will include the process of blacksmithing for the creation of materials.
This mainly involves decoration and functional furniture within your homes and freeholds. There will be two avenues available when it comes to carpentry itself:
- Aesthetics: which makes crafting very unique looking decorations for people to use making their houses a little bit nicer. This will include statues, paintings, tables, chairs, vases, and the like. Though, these decorations will not have any progression to them and cosmetics such as these will only progress in their category.
- Functionality: unlike decorations in the aesthetic side, these will have actual use in one way or another. Either it be stoves for cooking, workbenches for carpentry itself, or another piece of functional piece of furniture that would probably provide a temporary buff. The higher your carpentry skill, the better quality of furniture you can make.
To begin your shipbuilding, you are required to have two things: the materials and a harbor crafting station. These harbour crafting stations are unlocked as the coastal node progresses. It’s likely that boats will not be available until the coastal nodes have progressed up to level three.
Another avenue that would benefit shipbuilding is the creation of the actual equipment on the ship such as the mast, the hull, and the cannons. This would open up separate markets for very high end creation of the ship types and the equipment that goes on them. The more diverse the specializations are, the more unique the items made at the master level tier are going to be.
Ashes of Creation is quite unique in this segment as they are different in the other popular MMOs today. In their PVP, they are recruiting master crafters who specialize in the field of siege weaponry to keep their arsenal of siege weapons up to date against other builds. The siege weaponry will likely catapults, ballista, and trebuchets. There will be more unique siege weaponry which are only going to be available to craft through carpenters that have mastered the siege weaponry tree.